Silver saw a rough start into the third week of trading in September, dropping by more than 10% on Monday the 21st and, thus, echoing the 15% in August, with the little brother of Gold dropping short-term below the 24 USD mark per ounce.
Among traders the questions arise: “Will we see an even deeper correction in the days ahead?” and “Is the mid-to-long-term bullish picture still valid?”
Despite recent bearish action: Silver ETF sends bullish sentiment signs
To answer the first question “Will we see an even deeper correction in the days ahead?”: while we don’t have a crystal ball and can’t answer that question for sure, technically the risk of an “ABC”-pattern and, thus, a push towards and below 23.00 USD, probably to as low as 22.00/22.30 USD remains an option.
That’s probably especially true if the correction in equities continues since Silver, due to its higher risk sensitivity and also its bullish outperformance since the March lows, could see heavier selling pressure resulting out of a de-leveraging and meeting (equity) margin calls.
But before we get too pessimistic: the latest ETF’s Silver holdings fared their biggest weekly decline in a year, after reaching an all-time high in August.
That’s noteworthy as this development, within the recent bullish consolidation, shows that:
- Some weak hands grew impatient over the past weeks
- The weaker start into the week with the quite aggressive move on the downside was probably a “shake out” in first place
- There are increasing chances of Silver having found a bottom
- There are also increasing chances of a near-term bullish stint
This brings us to the second question, “Is the mid-to-long-term bullish picture still active?”: as you may have guessed: we remain bullish on precious metals, especially for Silver.
The reason for our overall bullish bias is that the fundamental picture hasn’t significantly changed over the past weeks: while the growth of the FED’s balance sheet stalled around 7 trillion USD for nearly two months now and FED chairman Powell didn’t signal an imminent adjustment either in the scope or scale of their QE program at the last FED meeting with recent bearish momentum in Equities having accelerated, the US central bank has to rather sooner than later to step in again.
This might be especially true, especially considering the following key points:
- There has already been provided liquidity from the FED for smaller-sized corporations
- Smaller corporations haven’t profited that much from the recent run to new highs among US equities and bigger corporations
- Democrats and Republicans are having trouble agreeing on another Corona relief package.
In general, this is a still favorable outlook for Gold, but, most likely, especially for Silver with the Gold-Silver-Ratio having reached nearly 80 to 1 again with the historic ratio being around 50 to 60 to 1.
That delivers bullish outperformance potential for Silver over Gold, even though both remain bullish.
How should you trade Silver in this environment?
Technically and short-term, we consider the picture in Silver bearish with an increased likelihood of a test of the region around 23.00 USD, probably to even lower, around 22.00/22.30.
Should we get to see Silver bulls recapture 27.50 USD before such a bearish stint lower, an increasing net long position in Silver futures could initiate a very bullish stint, pushing the metal quickly and dynamically towards 30 USD and even higher.
Source: Admiral Markets MT5 with MT5SE Add-on Silver Daily chart (between April 29, 2019, to September 23, 2020). Accessed: September 23, 2020, at 07:30 PM GMT – Please note: Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results, or future performance.
In 2015 the value of Silver fell by 12.8%, in 2016, it increased by 13.0%, in 2017, it increased by 6.4%, in 2018, it fell by 10.0%, and in 2019, it increased by 15.7%, meaning that in five years, it was up by 13.5%.
Discover the world’s #1 multi-asset platform
Admiral Markets offers professional traders the ability to trade with MetaTrader 5, allowing you to experience trading at a significantly higher, more rewarding level than with MetaTrader 4. Experience benefits such as the addition of the Market Heat Map, so you can compare various currency pairs to see which ones might be lucrative investments, access real-time trading data, and so much more. Click the banner below to start your FREE download of MT5!
Disclaimer: The given data provides additional information regarding all analysis, estimates, prognosis, forecasts or other similar assessments or information (hereinafter “Analysis”) published on the website of Admiral Markets. Before making any investment decisions please pay close attention to the following:
- This is a marketing communication. The analysis is published for informative purposes only and are in no way to be construed as investment advice or recommendation. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research, and that it is not subject to any prohibition on dealing ahead of the dissemination of investment research.
- Any investment decision is made by each client alone whereas Admiral Markets shall not be responsible for any loss or damage arising from any such decision, whether or not based on the Analysis.
- Each of the Analysis is prepared by an independent analyst (Jens Klatt, Professional Trader and Analyst, hereinafter “Author”) based on the Author’s personal estimations.
- To ensure that the interests of the clients would be protected and objectivity of the Analysis would not be damaged Admiral Markets has established relevant internal procedures for prevention and management of conflicts of interest.
- Whilst every reasonable effort is taken to ensure that all sources of the Analysis are reliable and that all information is presented, as much as possible, in an understandable, timely, precise and complete manner, Admiral Markets does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained within the Analysis. The presented figures that refer to any past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results.
- The contents of the Analysis should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets that the client shall profit from the strategies therein or that losses in connection therewith may or shall be limited.
- Any kind of previous or modeled performance of financial instruments indicated within the Publication should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets for any future performance. The value of the financial instrument may both increase and decrease and the preservation of the asset value is not guaranteed.
- The projections included in the Analysis may be subject to additional fees, taxes or other charges, depending on the subject of the Publication. The price list applicable to the services provided by Admiral Markets is publicly available from the website of Admiral Markets.
- Leveraged products (including contracts for difference) are speculative in nature and may result in losses or profit. Before you start trading, you should make sure that you understand all the risks.
Guy on Rocks: Time to go gold shopping. This 1Moz in Victoria looks promising…
The view by many of the gold bulls that the USD may well have run or be close to running … Read More
The post Guy on Rocks: Time to go gold shopping….
The Subtle Art Of Orange-Pilling
The Subtle Art Of Orange-Pilling
Authored by Jesse Colzani via BictoinMagazine.com,
Every Bitcoin user has very different reasons for using…
Selling Into Daily S&P 500 Strength
S&P 500 staged a dead cat bounce following Thuursday‘s slide, and so did yields retreating a bit. Coupled with Japan … Read more
Energy & Critical Metals23 hours ago
Basin drilling returns up to 0.27% uranium at Geikie, highlights ‘scale potential to produce a major discovery’
Economics20 hours ago
Scarcity Is Not Enough
Base Metals16 hours ago
US Steel partners with NETL to test new NETL membrane for carbon capture from steelmaking operations
Companies14 hours ago
NorthWest Copper Announces Property Sale Agreement
Uncategorized22 hours ago
Belararox eyes new targets to boost Belara 5Mt copper-zinc resource
Companies13 hours ago
West Red Lake Gold Strengthens Management Team
Companies22 hours ago
Fin launches into maiden fieldwork over Mt Tremblant lithium projects in the prolific James Bay
Companies16 hours ago
First Quantum Minerals to expand Kansanshi copper mine with MECS technology for smelter